The McNeffs

The McNeffs

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Scrapbooking!!

Well, I've entered a new outlet for my creativity.  It's one I secretly admired, but openly chuckled at: Scrapbooking!  I wanted to keep doing the Treasure Books that Mom does, but with my own little twist.  I wanted to combine photos and journal entries/stories so that when people look through it they really get a better sense of who we are as a family.  I also wanted to keep it in the sheet protectors because 12x12 books are not fun to shelve, and I didn't want Maddie to get into them and pull them all apart.  So...  I began to collect a few things.  I didn't want to complicate my life by getting dramatic about it (simplicity, right?) plus, I want to keep developing some of my other talents, which takes time.  Result... there was a 50% off sale on Scrapbook paper so I bought a few packs (seasons, birthdays, classy, girly) and purchased a variety of colors of cardstock.  I also printed my pictures in 4x6 collages so I could fit as many photos on one page as possible.  Next, I got a scrapbook magazine at the library (they have about 6 years worth), and am reading up on different things.  I have a little station at my desk, and when Maddie's asleep and I need a little rejuvenating, productive project, I spend about 30 minutes cutting with my ordinary scissors, gluing with my glue stick, coloring with my crayons and pencils, writing or typing out a blurb and ouila!  A page is done!  Oh, and I work out of order.  I look through my photos until I see one that inspires me to do a page, and I do it.  Then I put in the right place in the book.  Much better that way!  I did one very complex page (took me an hour) and I didn't scrapbook the next day.  I felt like I had to top myself or do it just as good the next time.  Blah!  I read another issue of the magazine and found some very easy, quick set ups and got two pages done the next day in 35 minutes.  Simplicity!  Moderation!

(I have to say, though, it's a good thing I don't have all the fancy punches, stamps, ribbons, etc, because I'm sure I would jump in over my head and become completely overwhelmed!  But I do get a little excited when i see paper and cardstock on sale, because I know I'll use that!)

Over the last 3 weeks, I've completed 16 pages and a total of 144 photos (yes, I just counted) and two pages that are completely done EXCEPT the photo.  :) 

Favorite pages:  Cutting the Wedding Cake, Christmas '09, Bugaboo, Sledding '09, Bridal Veil Falls Hike.  I'd post pictures of them, but my computer is having some serious memory issues, so.... ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment